What’s In a Name?
Romeo and Juliet, Act II, Scene II, William Shakespeare
Juliet: O Romeo, Romeo, wherefore art thou Romeo?
Deny thy father and refuse thy name;
What’s in a name? That which we call a rose
By any other name would smell as sweet;
Does a name – for example Trump — predict anything about the name’s holder? In fact, when it comes to that particular word there is much to answer the question “What’s in a name?”
• Trump, trump card (noun): “The ace of trumps is a sure winner.”
• Cornet, horn, trumpet, trump (noun): A brass instrument played with a brilliant tone.
• Trump (verb): He trumpeted his own brilliance.
• Outdo, outflank, trump, best, scoop (verb): Get the better of; to beat the competition.
• Trump, riff (verb): play a trump.
• Trump out (verb): proclaim or announce with or as with a fanfare.
• Trump (verb): to impose unfairly; to palm off.
• Trump (verb): to trick, or impose on; to deceive.
• Trump (verb): to excel, surpass; outdo.